We’ll soon be saying goodbye to the old friend that is 2012 and saying hello to 2013 (doesn’t have the same ring does it?)
A few of my personal highlights of this incredible year have been; The London 2012 Olympics (aka, an excuse to stare at Tom Daley in speedos), The Diamond Jubilee and Boris Johnson trapped on a zip wire (by far the best news story of the year).
There is much to look forward to for 2013, both personally for me and for everyone else! Here’s a quick look at some of the most eagerly anticipated events of the next year:
– Michelle Obama’s inaugural style – The world has always had an obsession with the US First Lady and MObama is no different. Michelle’s 2009 inaugural dress, designed by Jason Wu catapulted the little-known Chinese American designer and Mrs. Obama herself onto the global style sphere. The Ball is set for 21 January 2013 and all eyes will be on Michelle and her dress, as she shares her first dance with her newly re-elected husband.
– The View from the Shard – The Shard is the tallest building in Western Europe, standing at an impressive 1016ft high and The View from the Shard promises to give an incredible 360 degree glimpse of the capital city. The experience opens on the 1st of February 2013 and tickets can be purchased for around £25 online.
– The Book of Mormon – The brainchild of South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone will soon be gracing the Prince of Wales theatre stage in London. This highly successful musical took Broadway by storm and has won 9 Tony Awards and a Grammy, can’t argue with that! Prepare to be hilariously offended and shocked by this satirical musical from March 2013 onwards.
– The Great Gatsby – My favourite book of all time is being given another film version, (check out the version with Robert Redford and Mia Farrow for some movie magic) this time directed by the fantastical Baz Luhrmann (Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge!). With some of the best casting ever seen (Leo DiCaprio as Gatsby and Carey Mulligan as Daisy) this is a sure fire hit. The incredible trailers give an insight into Mulligan’s vintage Prada and Miu Miu wardrobe and make me want to throw away all my uni work and reread F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel until the premier of the film. Fitzgerald’s wife, Zelda, was nicknamed the ‘First American Flapper’ so look out for the style which she made popular making a comeback to coincide with the film’s May 2013 release.
– Alexander Wang & Balenciaga – Wang was recently announced the new creative director of Paris fashion house, Balenciaga, and the whole fashion world is waiting with bated breath to see what he’s going to come up with. Wang has created sportswear-esque outfits for his eponymous line while Balenciaga is known for its avant-garde pieces. All eyes will be on his debut show.
– Monochrome – Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu, Topshop Unique and Alexander Wang all presented monochrome centred shows for Spring 2013. Expect stripes galore and cut out sections (a la Wang) to come into vogue. So raid your cupboard, ebay and the highstreet for some black and white ensembles in preparation for this upcoming trend!
– A Royal baby is born – Can anyone else contain their excitement?! Because I can’t! Boy? Girl? TWINS?! It’s still a mystery as to what gender baby Kate is carrying and probably will be until the day of the birth but that doesn’t stop me from decorating my room in all things Union Jack in preparation for a massive blighty styled celebration. Drinks at the ready!
– Watery Abyss – Since researchers at the University of Sussex discovered that blue is the go to colour for happiness, I’m even more in love with this watery themed trend. Proenza Schouler presented a Spring/Summer 2013 dress which used a photo print of families playing in a pool while another, equally stylish dress, showed a beach scene. Charlotte Ronson, Michael Kors and Donna Karen followed suit with the water theme; imagine rippling blue prints and fluid fabrics for that instant wave of happiness.
– Highstreet collaborations – The Highstreet Collaboration has now become old hat. This past year has seen H&M collaborate with Maison Martin Margiela and Topshop with J.W. Anderson. Rumours have already started circulating about a Givenchy/H&M deal but not confirmed (please be true), lets hope 2013 is as stellar as its predecessor.
– Statement Sunnies – Anna Sui’s Spring 2013 show showcased some sunnies which made me coo with excitement. The louder, the better. Head to net-a-porter.co.uk and check out Illesteva for some rounded pastel coloured lenses or google the brilliant Henry Holland, whose kooky designs are perfect for this season.
2013 is shaping up to be a good year, so grab yourself some champagne and lets toast!
Happy New Year from JKA x